Thursday, June 20, 2013

Engagement Story Link-Up

Since we are newly engaged (read Cassie's version HERE and Matt's HERE), we thought it would be fun to host a link-up for other couples that are either engaged or married. It's always fun when we get to hear from the significant other that doesn't blog! So, link up and answer the following questions with your loved one! We have also included our own answers.

Questions for the Gals:

Did your guy completely surprise you, or were you on to his case?
 
I was definitely on to his case. First of all, I had found him looking at engagement rings on his phone the day after my graduation party. Little did I know it was the one he had already bought me. Second, he asked me about two weeks ahead of time what I was doing June 9, and that got me thinking. I even told a few close friends I thought he would maybe propose that day, especially since he wanted to take me to the Grand Canyon, where we have had so many memories. But, he completely threw me off when the day before I asked him what the plan was for that morning and he had ZERO PLAN. Who doesn't have somewhat of a plan when they're planning to propose? BUT with us, it wasn't a matter of if but more a matter of when. So, what I surprised? Yes. Completely? Not at all.
 
What is your favorite aspect of your engagement? Why?
 
I absolutely adored the fact that Matt chose a place that was special to us. We had what one might consider our first date at the Grand Canyon, we shared our one year at the Grand Canyon, and we have spent countless hours there just admiring its beauty. He is always really thoughtful, but oh man did he do good this time.
 
 
Did you play a role in selecting your engagement ring, why or why not?
 
I did play a role in it. It just started as something funny almost. I would send him rings I liked or make comments about other women's rings I did or didn't like. Then, when I got back from Scotland and we started talking about marriage, I started looking more seriously at a style I would want. We talk about everything so I didn't really see a point in hiding my excitement and preferences. I'm happy I did so, because he chose the PERFECT ring, it's more than I ever expected.
 
 

Questions for the Guys:

Was there a distinct moment when you knew you wanted to ask your lady to marry you? What was it? If not, how did you decide?

I was confident that Cassie was the girl I was going to marry for a long time, but I got my defining moment when she started writing on her blog. She poured out her heart and love for God and I realized how her walk with Christ had grown. That gave me the confidence to finally buy the ring and know for sure this was the girl to marry.

What was the most stressful part of the whole proposal?

Two things: Talking to her parents. It wasn't about worrying that they would say "no," it was about vocalizing my intentions and making this proposal a reality. No one is going to hold you accountable until you actually say something and that was stressful. And two, making sure the photo that I took at the Grand Canyon when I proposed was exposed correctly and in focus. I would hate to make the photo a part of my proposal and then the photo not turn out well at all.
 
 

Do you feel that it is vitally important to speak to her parents before proposing or just a formality?

Absolutely. I would never want to start a lifelong marriage off on the wrong foot without asking her parents first. I was reading a book that explained this very well. In historical times, the parents would go out and find the partner for their children, it was their duty to marry out their kids. In the case of Isaac and Rebekah, Abraham sent his servant out to find his son a wife just as God had sought out a wife for Adam. It is in our foundation to want our parents to accept our significant others. Times have changed and parents in America don't send their servants out to find us spouses, but the same foundation of a parents approval of a relationship exists. Relationships without our parents approval are much harder to accept and enjoy because we are going against the role God has placed on parents. So, yes, it was important to me to talk to her parents first. And yes, I did.
Can't wait to hear from you all!

1 comment:

  1. I love this!!! I can't wait to hear other people answer these questions!!! In 2 years time when I (hopefully) get engaged I fully expect you to repeat this link up ;)

    ReplyDelete

© The Koinonia Blog. Powered by